Current Frauds and Scams
8 June 2023 | Impersonation of One New Zealand
A new scam has been identified (originally discovered back on May 10th) targeting customers with an automated message. The recording says that there is an issue with your account and you may be disconnected.
What happens if I get a call?
- If you receive this scam call it will most commonly be from a +64 (New Zealand) number.
- When you answer the call a recorded message plays saying there is something wrong with your One New Zealand account and that it will be disconnected
- The recorded message attempts to guide you through a series of prompts to speak to someone to resolve the issue. (options to press 1 for English or 2 for Chinese speakers).
If you get a call that matches this description, end the call and report it. These types of scams will typically target your payment or identity information. Please remain vigilant and report scam calls via our website: one.nz/help/mobile-safety/scam-phone-calls
1 June 2023 | SMS Scam
Example of content:
- "After further review you are due a tax refund. Please visit and enter your details to process your payment at: https://ird-tax-govt.line.pm/ret/GovtNZ"
URL may morph – if in doubt please contact IRD via official website.
Other examples include:
- "BNZ: We have temporarily restricted access to your account due to suspicious activity. Please visit: https://bnzupdateactivity.com/"
- "BNZ: We have temporarily restricted access to your account due to suspicious activity. Please visit: https://bnzlimitedaccess.com/"
If you receive this scam, please report to Department of Internal Affairs here dia.govt.nz/Spam-How-to-Report-Scams and delete the message.
For more information on fraud and scams safety, please refer to the below:
List of Frauds and Scams
10 May 2023 | "Overdue Toll Invoice" Scam
"Overdue Toll Invoice A vehicle registered in your name recently travelled on a toll road and the toll has not been paid. More details (URL)"
The URL can lead to submission page requesting personal information or potentially harmful malware to be downloaded.
20 - 21 April 2023 | "Subscription of Norton" Scam
- Victim receives scam call – (unknown origin of company).
- Caller states they have been infected with malware and offer to remove.
- Install of AnyDesk into their mobile as solution. This grants remote access.
- An App called Sim Gateway is installed and seen on the phone.
- Then in the background it starts sending SMS - Example of text message:"Your subscription of Norton is auto renewed successfully. Amount : $399.99 Transaction will appear in next 24 hours. If you wish to cancel; Call +64XXXXXXXXX"
Solution: Uninstall the app and factory reset the device.