Ready to dig? Here’s what you need to know
Our cables form the backbone of our network and allow us to provide all our customers with the best possible service. That’s why we’ve created this handy checklist to ensure you don’t accidentally dig up or damage one of them.
Step 1: Get familiar with the official safety guide
Before you begin digging, we highly recommend you, and anyone accompanying you on the job, take the time to read through Worksafe’s Excavation Safety and Guide for Safety with Underground Services; specifically read the section outlining hand-digging to expose and identify all existing services.
Step 2: Get a cable location service plan from us
To help make things easier for you, we offer a free set of service plans* which outline the locations of our underground cables.
You can request these plans by going to www.beforeudig.co.nz or call us on 0800 B4U DIG (0800 248 344).
*The plans are valid for 60 days from date of Issue. After 60 days you must request new plans. The accuracy of our plans cannot always be guaranteed - Road realignment, reconstruction, alterations to ground cover and property boundaries can all affect accuracy.
You must hand dig or Hydro excavate to confirm the location of our services.
Dealing with damaged cables
Even the slightest damage to our cables could have a negative impact on our customers and the wider community they live in. Potentially, damage to our cables could lead to:
- 111 calls not going through to emergency services
- Loss of mobile coverage - mobile phone towers may be cut off from the network
- Loss of telephone, internet, email and EFTPOS services
- No access to medical and security alarms
- If you do damage one of our cables, it’s imperative you let us know right away. Please don't hide it or attempt to make a repair and leave the excavation open. Even if there's no obvious wire or fibre breakage, moisture could enter an incorrectly patched cable.
To report damage to our network, cut cables, damaged cabinets or pillars please call our Network Operation Centre on 0508 555 007 (select Option 2 when prompted). One NZ will seek to recover actual costs to repair any damage caused by negligence or careless digging.