One Upgrade | Frequently Asked Questions
This article contains details about One Upgrade and how it works.
What is One Upgrade?
One Upgrade is the Add-On that lets you upgrade your phone before you've finished your current interest free term. We'll wipe the remainder of your contract and start you up on a new one.
How to get One Upgrade?
Adding One Upgrade
How much does it cost?
If you wish to upgrade to a new phone during your interest free term:
- you must pay a one-off redemption fee ranging from $0 - $299. See "Calculating Redemption Fee" below; and
- you must purchase your new phone on an interest free plan with any pay monthly mobile plan.
Am I eligible to add One Upgrade?
How to redeem One Upgrade?
Calculating redemption fee
- how many months you may have left, in relation to the length of your term
- condition of your phone
You purchase a new phone on a 24 month interest free term with a pay monthly mobile plan. One Upgrade is added during purchase.
9 months later: A new phone is released and you want to upgrade early. Your phone is in good condition and there are more than 12 months remaining on your interest free plan. You can redeem One Upgrade by returning your phone to us, paying a one off redemption fee of $99 and getting your new phone on interest free with a pay monthly mobile plan. Subject to credit assessment.
See our redemption table below:
|Interest free term
|Fee if good condition
|Fee if damaged
|Less than 6 months
|6 months or more
|24 or 36 months
|Less than 12 months
|12 months or more
Redeeming One Upgrade
What to do before I redeem One Upgrade
- Back up your personal data - see How do I back up my phone personal data?
- Make sure you can log in your Apple iCloud/Google account. When you come in store, you'll be asked to delete your Apple iCloud/Google ID from your phone before we can upgrade your phone - if your phone is in good condition or can be repaired and reset, this allows your phone to be repurposed.
- Check you have a valid ID.
How to back up phone personal data
Before you come into store, you'll need to back up your personal data. Personal data can be photos, videos, documents, contact numbers, etc. If you hand over your phone and your data has not been backed up, you won't be able to access it again.
We've linked below websites showing examples of the process:
Android to Android
Apple to Apple
- Use iCloud to transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (Apple Support)
- Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad (Apple Support)
Apple to Android
- How to switch from iPhone to Android: Sync your contacts, photos, more (androidauthority.com)
- Switch From iPhone to Android Seamlessly (Android)
Android to Apple
How the redemption process works in store
How to determine the condition of my phone
- powers on, holds a charge for a reasonable period and the battery health is above 85%;
- has a correctly functioning display, buttons, cameras, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and face ID (where applicable) and is able to make and receive calls without issue;
- is free of cosmetic damage, including chips on the screen or casing, heavy or deep scratching on the casing or screen or cracks on the casing or screen (or screen issues such as green lines, pink screen, dead pixels/light spots, touch screen issues, screen burn or display defects); and
- does not have any missing, disassembled, customised or non-genuine parts (other than parts used for repair under a manufacturer's warranty or under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 or Fair Trading Act 1986).
What kind of new phone can I choose?
If I redeem One Upgrade for a new phone, will I still have to pay my current phone repayments?
- You purchase a new phone on a new interest free term with any pay monthly mobile plan;
- You come into our store and return your existing phone to us, with your ID;
- You pay the applicable redemption fee (based on the condition of your phone); and
- Your monthly phone repayment and One Upgrade fees are not overdue.
Is my phone eligible?
My phone doesn't turn on or it won't stay on
How to use One Upgrade in a retail store?
What to expect in-store
- Back up your personal data
- Remove your Apple iCloud/ Google account
- Factory reset your phone from the phone menu
- Remove any physical SIM or SD cards from your phone
- Get your new phone and plan set up on a new interest free term